Habits learned at an early age are often the ones that stick with us for the rest of our lives. This is why it’s so important to teach your kids healthy habits while they are young. However, getting a young child to eat healthily or to practice good dental hygiene can feel like pulling teeth.
If you aren’t sure where to turn in regards to teaching your kids healthy habits, check out these simple yet effective tips and tricks from your friends at Trinity Orthodontics!
- Use a Children’s Toothpaste – Children’s mouths are much more sensitive than adult mouths, meaning that adult toothpaste can be uncomfortable for children to use. Find a flavor of children’s toothpaste that your child enjoys and they’ll be much more likely to have a pleasant tooth-brushing experience.
- Offer Rewards – Offering your child simple rewards such as stickers when they brush or floss their teeth can be a great motivator.
- Make it a Game – Children love games, and if you can turn dental health into a game then you’ll have an easier time convincing them to brush and floss. Get creative and come up with a game that is both kid-friendly and encourages dental health.
- Download a Tooth Brushing App –
- Keep Healthy Food Available – Children will eat what is available to them. If healthy snacks are the only option that they have the majority of the time, getting them to maintain a healthy diet is much easier.
- Make it Fun – Changing the shape, look, or even names of food into something fun is often all it takes to get kids to try something new. Try making ants on a log or celery with peanut butter and raisins on top. Let your kids use a cookie cutter to cut fun shapes into fruits or whole grain bread.
- Make the Bathtub a Play-Place – If you can turn the bathtub into a play-place by filling it with fun toys and games it becomes fairly easy to make children look forward to bath time.
- Make Hygiene a Routine – Once children fall into routines, it becomes second-nature for them. Have a set time where children bathe, wash their hands, brush their teeth, and so on and soon they won’t even question it.
Kid-Friendly Events to Encourage Healthy Habits
Whether you are rewarding your child by taking them to a fun event, providing them with exercise by taking them an activity-filled event, or introducing them to healthy foods at an event that makes healthy food fun, there are plenty of health-related advantages to getting your child involved in local events. Here are a few of the kid-friendly events in Thorton and Arvada to add to your calendar!
- Sand in the City in Arvada June 23-24
- Drop in Discovery in Arvada May 3
- Frolic Play Space in Thorton
- Progresh in Thorton
How to Teach Your Kids Healthy Dental Habits
Adopting healthy dental hygiene habits is incredibly important to prevent cavities and maintain good dental health. A few tips to consider when teaching your kids healthy dental habits include:
How to Teach Your Kids Healthy Eating Habits
The preferred dietary choices of young children are often quite unhealthy. To encourage your child to eat healthier food options, try these tips:
How to Teach Your Kids Healthy Hygiene Habits
Good hygiene is essential not only for keeping your child looking (and smelling) their best but also for warding of cold-causing bacteria and germs. Some tips for teaching your kids good hygiene include: